Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Food is Fun and Fun is Good

I recently discovered that I like food.

It all started when I accidentally knocked a package of Pacific's Poblano Pepper and Corn Chowder off the shelf at the grocery store. As I watched the southwestern inspired puddle grow at my feet, I thought it looked pretty good and purchased one. I'm not a big fan of spicy foods, as I prefer my meal not to hurt me, but the flavor of the soup was nice. That's one point for food. I think I'll knock something else off the shelf the next time I go to the store.

The soup turned pretty beige once microwaved.
Next, I headed to the largest Mexican Farmers Market in the city of Houston, known as Canino's. It is truly amazing. The market stretches on and on, boasting endless produce stands run by different families.

A million hot peppers. No biggie.
The produce is fresh and dirt cheap and not always identifiable. Another plus for the food industry.

At one stand, I noticed a barrel full of tiny dried out minnows. What the heck. They also sell mangoes on sticks that are dipped in cayenne pepper and then carved in the shape of flowers, which, to be honest, mesmerized me.

I made several purchases. I bought 2 tacos and a pineapple Jupina for only $4.50. I also got inspired by all the produce and ended up having this for breakfast the next day:

I didn't eat the lemon.
Why, then, did I put it on the plate?

My mouth was on fire due to all the citric acid. Minus two points for food.

The Canino adventure made me appreciate all the great Mexican influences in Texas, but it also caused me to miss the great Cuban fare I grew up eating in south Florida. I decided to try making one of my favorite dishes from home, Cuban pulled pork with lime. It turned out well, albeit not too photogenic.

Pretend there are sweet plantains on the plate.
I am still in the process of trying to perfect my Ropa Vieja.

My final food discovery occurred when I was traveling throughout New Hampshire. The Centennial Hotel claimed a delicious breakfast, so I gave it a shot. The highlight was the creme fresh with chives on the hash browns. I had never tried that before, and it was dang good.

I started eating before I took the picture.
 Rookie mistake.
 These are the things that have been happening in my life regarding food. Who cares, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment