Monday, May 9, 2011

Understated Elegance

Last week I outclassed myself, which is so unfortunately easy to do. My sister invited me to fly to Tampa and then head over to the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando for my nephew's 2nd birthday. A free stay at a luxury hotel! My parents met us there as well.

As soon as I entered the lobby of the hotel, I knew I was in a place where I did not belong. It was so fancy.

Opulence in the Lobby
 
Lavish Pools
 

Scenic Vistas
 It was the type of place where you could find brides roaming around. People played golf, ordered food by the pool, and valet parked their cars.

I spotted one!
My mom kept walking around and solemnly saying, "understated elegance."

While I was there, I took a lot of notes about what rich people like. For one thing, they like a lot of lemonade.

Free Lemonade for Everyone!
Hotel Guests Only.
 They also like tiny condiments.

Tiny Tabasco
And they definitely like fountains in their pools.


Fish spat water onto you while you swam.
My time at the Ritz-Carlton involved a lot of laying by the pool and eating. My dad was particularly impressed by the breakfast buffet. He held up a finger for each trip he took to get more food.

Trip 1

Trip 2

There was some debate about which trip this was.
 At first, I felt very out of my element. I mean, I've been known to eat a can of pinto beans for dinner and buy articles of clothing with other people's monograms on them so that they're cheaper. It wasn't long before I adjusted to feeling rich and famous.

Classy
 The best part of the trip occurred right as we were about to leave. The bell hop (yeah that's right, the bell hop) came to get our bags from the rooms. I was in the process of trying to deflate some inner tubes when he arrived. He took one and proclaimed he was going to show me how to deflate it faster. He then opened the valve, put it against his chest, and then leaned up against the wall. He stayed like that for about 4 full minutes.

What do you do while this is happening?
 By the end of the weekend, I felt so relaxed and better than everyone. This taste of the good life gave me a keen eye for spotting fancy things in everyday life.

That ain't no ordinary tuna salad.
 What a weekend!


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/5/11

    I appreciate that your dad gets different food every time he goes to the buffet. It really gave me a lot of perspective into what you ate that weekend.

    ReplyDelete